This post originally appeared on The Moms of Douglas County blog site.
Recently I’ve noticed a hand-stamped clothing trend on my social networking sites. Being the shopper that I am, I found a lot of great items, especially hand-stamped baby leggings. I was shocked to find that some were priced upwards of $35. So naturally I decided to make my own. They are the perfect pant for a play date or a day outside in the dirt.
Here’s what you need:
1 pair of solid cotton leggings ($2.50; Walmart)
1 rubber stamp ($9; www.creatiate.etsy.com)
1 fabric stamp pad in a contrasting color ($8.14; VersaCraft, www.amazon.com)
1.Wash your leggings.
2. Practice stamping on an old t-shirt
3. Start stamping on your leggings – you can be as random or as precise as you’d like. It depends on your style
4. Let dry for 4 hours, then stamp the back side
5. Once both sides are dry, the ink must be “heat set” by ironing the leggings inside out on a high heat setting.
6. Put them on your little one, take a lot of pictures, and relish in a job well done.
Tip: to keep ink fresh, hand washing is best, followed by laying them flat to dry. Otherwise, wash them inside out on cold and lay flat to dry.
I’m going to be on the lookout for more fun rubber stamps. The possibilities are really endless – hand stamped onesies, burp cloths and hats. Plus if you get really good, they make a very cute and very personal baby shower gift.